Thursday, April 25, 2013

I PREDICTED TODAY'S GOLF BUSINESS DILEMMA IN AN ARTICLE I WROTE YEARS AGO


I wrote this paragraph over 12-years ago - updated in 2009-10. In particular, it's the last paragraph on my article about the modern golf ball.  

"Unless cooler heads prevail in the construction of new golf courses, look for a decline in golf participation in the next few years - with or without Tiger. There are already a number of golf course in financial trouble in Canada and the USA (some estimates as high as one in four golf courses cannot pay their bills). They can't pay their bills, because play has dropped."
Michael A Kahn, 2009 - 2010


The full article was about the development of the golf ball, particularly the Surlyn cover and solid core developed in the late 60's and early 70's. I tested the Spalding range ball when it first came out.

The article was really what I felt was one of the reasons golf grew so dramatically in the 70's and 80's - the economics of the golf ball. Mainly, the price of golf balls was coming down while the durability of the modern golf ball is almost forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment