Sunday, April 7, 2013

GOLF COURSE MARKETING TRAP?

DEPENDING SOLELY ON EMAIL AND NETWORK MARKETING I BELIEVE COULD BE A TRAP!


I was one of the very first in golf to utilize email lists to promote tee times. I started the idea as manager of Oak Ford Golf Club in Sarasota, Florida. It was actually my son who told me about a list service known as 'One List' that would send bulk emails. I found it handy, because every day we had an empty period on the tee sheet for about 30 minutes before the mid-day price drop. For instance, on Friday night we would check the tee sheet, then try to sell those empty tee times at a discount. It was an easy 'click-of-a-mouse' to inform thousand of already-customers of the special.

My use of email began away back in the 90's (I think a Tyrannosaurus Rex was on our list). Remember, email addresses were difficult to collect and many were misspelled and never got to their destinations. I remember almost all emails then were AOL. Back then we'd send the emails and wait for the phone to ring (no online tee times back then either).

Anyway. it was so easy to sell a couple more tee times using email. I mean, you could not place an ad in the newspaper that quickly.

Well, that was the beginning of using the Internet to market a golf course. If I wasn't the first for golf, I was damn close to it!

Since about 2005 or so, I noticed everyone was building email lists and ignoring their traditional marketing avenues like newspaper, radio and TV. Marketing budgets went from $60,000 to almost zero by using the network to sell tee times. So here we are in 2013 and it seems the only way to market a golf course is via the Internet. Has this change in marketing golf courses contributed in some way the a decline of golf players? I believe there is at least some connection. My rather crude illustration above tries to make my point:

I believe you need to be clearly visible in the marketplace to get new customers, and to remind occasional customers who are not on your email list to think of your golf course next time they play. I mean, how do they hear about your golf course if they are not on your email list - if that's the only way you advertise?

That's the trap you fall into.

I learned how to market a golf course during my 25-years in Peterborough, Ontario. I never forgot a mistake I made one spring when I figured I could save close to $50,000 by not advertising at all. I figured I could have a great time with $50K to myself (and my family). What a disaster!

In 25-years I only had one single two-month period when my numbers actually went 'south' and that was the year I decided not to advertise. And I am a numbers guy. I watch my receipts almost every hour. As numbers decreased I could see the $50K plans for me and my family were in jeopardy.

I woke up to the power of marketing, and I can tell you, that year would up my best ever.

I engineered a marketing plan that blew the lid off numbers for the rest of that season. Without going into details, hit every media avenue out there. By mid July my number-1 complaint was. "No place to park!" People who know me love to hear me say that!  

I spent the $50K and more in marketing and also earned my $50K to boot! If anyone tells me advertising doesn't work I see a person doomed to a business failure.

From my marketing experience in Peterborough I learned to fully appreciate the power and necessity of broadcast marketing, which brings me back to my point: You cannot depend solely on Internet network marketing to promote your golf course, or any business.

Yes, the Internet should be part of your marketing, but not your only marketing source. I believe those who have depended on network marketing entirely are the ones who's rounds are down the most.

Don't fall into that trap. You still have to advertise.

Mike

      

No comments:

Post a Comment