Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 3, 2013. While walking the dogs this morning...

I met my golf buddy-neighbor on the sidewalk while walking the dogs this morning. He was telling me how he was frustrated trying to stop a leak after he installed a new water heater himself. It was a brass coupling that he could not tighten enough to stop a small drip. No matter how tight he made it the leak still persisted. I can hear the expletives - like missing a 3-footer.

A one-hour job lasted all afternoon - not to mention two trips to Lowes, missing a golf game, and rising blood pressure.

Next day at the golf course he mentioned his dilemma to another golf buddy who happened to be a master plumber. Of course, the expert (plumber) said he knew exactly what the problem was and further, it would be a 2-minute fix! It was the way the seal was placed - backward.

Fixed!

The moral of this story is that the expert, in this case the plumber, understood the problem immediately. He drew from many years of experience as a professional plumber. That's the kind of experience I use as a consultant in my (golf) industry.

With the golf course business in a correction spiral (I'm being nice), I see golf operations operating like my neighbor and his water heater. I'm the plumber.

When I take on a golf course analysis assignment endless things jump out at me like Jack-in-the-boxes. Every one of these Jacks is throwing money into the wind - dollar bills, ten dollar bills, hundred dollar bills - even $1,000 dollar bills! Money gone for good! The sum of all those Jacks adds up to thousands and thousands of $ dollars every day week, month and year.

Really! I once walked into a golf course and found over $110,000.00 (that's one hundred and ten thousand dollars) in less than three minutes. At an evaluation of 10 X earnings, which was the norm at the time, that $110 thousand computed to $1.1 million in value to that particular golf course. My modest fee made that owner over $1 million dollars in a heartbeat!

I believe many failing golf courses can come back. I can find out very quickly. Sure, many are also doomed. I call them 'boats that won't float'. I'm not a patronizer. I mean, why try crossing an ocean in a boat sure to sink? If your ship is doomed I'll tell you.

But, if I see a way to survive I am 100% confident in my analysis and advice. Not only that, but my approach is not all that hard to follow. Not rocket science. I use very simple and basic principles. I mean, if you can tie your own shoes we can accomplish success.

If you are a board member of a troubled golf club give me a call. You'll be amazed at how your situation is so prevalent - everywhere. In a short, in a free consultation I can enlighten you. If nothing else, you'll feel better knowing you've got lots (and lots) of company.

I am an expert with over 50-years experience in the golf business world.

Mike

  

No comments:

Post a Comment