Monday, November 22, 2010

I'm 70-years old, losing distance, and need OPPs to break 80!

 I can't get home on 400+-yard par-4s.

I have very mixed enthusiasm about playing golf as a 70-year old, because I'm losing distance every year. It was only 5-years ago I could reach a 225-yard green with a 5-wood, even a 3-iron if I had a tail wind. Now I tee it up with the driver and reach that green only if I really catch it on the sweet spot.

I'm working out at the gym and I'll bet I'm stronger than when I was 65.

Anyway, my enthusiasm to play is low because I have real trouble reaching par-4s over 400-yards. Then I see the tour on TV playing 500+-yard par-4s. That kinda make one fell like a pip-squeak, doesn't it?

Back when I was still playing hockey (until 1992), I realized I had trouble finishing a shift without worrying I'd collapse on the ice (shifts were between 30-seconds and one minute). Having moved to Florida, I was able to give up hockey gracefully (at age 52). I can't escape golf that easily with golf courses all around me, and many courses I can always play for free (as their consultant).

So, as a 70-year old, at least I get to move up to the white tees, but the courses are still 6500-yards with two or three par-4s I can only reach with a really great drive and a 3-wood. However, my problem is intensified, because I was never really a par golfer. I was once down to a 2 handicap and stayed around 5 for several years, but now I have real trouble breaking 80. In fact 83 is looking like a good score for me today.


But I would like to score in the 70's once in a while, and not just because I sunk a bunch of 30-footers. It's tough when to par the 400-yard holes I can only do it with an OPP (one putt par).

Now I'm trying to improve my flexibility, because I know (and used to teach) senior golfers that they lose distance and flight height because their back-swings generally get flatter and shorter with age - due to lack of flexibility. In fact, I went to this great You Tube site ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDXNjFjjnU ) showing the six best stretch exercises. I'm working on those stretches with the hope of increasing my distance by adding to my flexibility. My goal is to reach that 225-yard green with a 3-wood.

It's November 22, 2010. I'll note here the day I reach the 225-yard green after doing all these stretches.  If I score in the seventies on at least 26 putts, I'll bragg about that too.

Keep in mind in may never happen.

Mike 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment